The sheer volume of advertising, literature and sales efforts around investments and insurance products can be overwhelming. Brad Mueller joined Wipfli Hewins Investment Advisors in 2013 as a Principal and Director of Risk Management and has been helping clients of all backgrounds cut through the complexity of these issues for more than two decades.
"For generations, most financial products – especially insurance products – have been distributed by salespeople whose financial interests are not aligned with their clients. As a result, these products are generally sold, not purchased, and consumers make choices based on emotion rather than logic. I’ve spent the better part of my career trying to change that picture."
- Brad Mueller
Brad views himself as an educator, a trusted advisor who can distill complex issues and products into understandable concepts and make it easy for clients to make informed decisions. As a planner, investment advisor and insurance broker, he brings the fiduciary obligation to work on behalf of his clients to an industry traditionally dominated by commission-driven salespeople. “I hope my clients feel informed and confident about their decisions, and experience a level of respect and integrity that I would want my own family to receive.”
Brad has advised some of the wealthiest families in the country – along with their family offices and attorneys – on insurance and wealth transfer planning, in addition to countless business owners and professionals planning for their retirements or leaving a legacy for their families and communities. He is also an expert in helping businesses design executive benefit plans to retain their key leadership and team members, and qualified retirement plans that meet the needs of the entire company, including owners. In addition to an extended Wipfli Hewins network of experts, Brad brings with him over two decades of high level planning and insurance experience at firms such as CliftonLarsonAllen, Clifton Gunderson LLP, Minnesota Life and Prudential.
Brad stays actively involved in his industry and community as a member of the Madison Estate Planning Council, the Association of Advanced Life Underwriters, the Financial Planning Association, the Concordia College Alumni Association (past Board of Directors member), the Middleton Outreach Ministry Board of Directors (Treasurer), and the West Middleton Lutheran Church Council (Treasurer and Vice President). Brad has been a main platform speaker at numerous financial and accounting industry conferences, continuing education events for attorneys and certified public accountants, and various business and consumer events. He is frequently quoted on financial planning and insurance topics in local and industry publications.
Outside of the office, Brad enjoys spending time in the outdoors playing golf, fishing and hunting with family and friends. He and his wife, Stephanie, have three children and one spoiled English Setter.
A Career in Planning and Insurance
- Principal and Director, Risk Management, Wipfli Hewins Investment Advisors LLP
- Managing Principal, CliftonLarsonAllen Wealth Advisors LLP & Principal, CliftonLarsonAllen LLP
- Principal and President, Clifton Gunderson Wealth Advisors LLP & Principal, Clifton Gunderson LLP
- Vice President – Insurance Services, Clifton Gunderson Wealth Advisors LLP
- Vice President – Insurance and Retirement Services, Capital Professional Advisors
- Various home office positions at Prudential and Minnesota Life
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics and Political Science from Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota
- Chartered Life Underwriter, The American College, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
- Fellow, Life Management Institute, Life Office Management Association, Atlanta, Georgia
- Life, health and variable product licensed in more than 20 states